Since 2001, If All Arkansas Read the Same Book is an annual, statewide reading program designed to encourage the enjoyment of reading and to promotion of book discussion in libraries of all types across Arkansas. Events for the project typically culminate in an author speaking tour.
The selection for 2020’s If All Arkansas Read the Same Book is bestselling author Kim Michele Richardson’s novel, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek (Sourcebooks Landmark, 2019).
The novel takes place in Depression-era Kentucky, and follows Cussy Mary Carter who becomes a librarian during the the Works Progress Administration’s (WPA) Pack Horse Library Project. Since its original publication, the book remains popular with book club readers around the state and country.
Due to concerns about COVID-19, the author will speak during virtual visits with statewide access. Everyone is welcome to attend!
To ensure the security of the virtual events, advance registration for Zoom attendance is required.
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 2 pm CDT: Register now for A Conversation with Kim Michele Richardson
- Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 2 pm CDT: Register now for A Presentation by Kim Michele Richardson
Email reminders will be sent the day before the scheduled event. The Zoom URL and password will be sent the day of the event.
Zoom registration is limited to 300 participants for each event. To expand access, both events will be live streamed over YouTube.
Past Book Selections
- 2019: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- 2018: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
- 2017: N/A
- 2016: The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck
- 2015: The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield
- 2014: Perfect Peace by Daniel Black
- 2013: Camp Nine by Vivienne Schiffer
- 2012: Icing on the Cake by Laura Castoro
- 2011: N/A
- 2010: Tenth anniversary of the Center celebrated by reading 10 books in 10 months: the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.
- 2009: A Long, Hard Road to Freedom by Petrus Lai Nguyen and Derlyne Gibson
- 2008: N/A
- 2007: A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
- 2006: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald; in conjunction with The Big Read, The Bookmaker’s Daughter by Shirley Abbott
- 2005: Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara
- 2004: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros; A Secret Word by Jennifer Paddock
- 2003: All Over But the Shoutin’ by Rick Bragg; Promises Kept by Sidney McMath
- 2002: The Captain’s Wife by Douglas Kelley
- 2001: To Dance with the White Dog by Terry Kay
For more information, contact:
- Karen O’Connell
- Coordinator, Arkansas Center for the Book
- email@example.com or 501-682-2874