Library Development staff are available to provide consulting services on best practices for Friends of the Library groups by email or telephone.
Successful Friends Groups:
- Listen to the librarian about library needs
- Know the library’s goals
- Know the library’s budget plan
- Are ready to adjust in an emergency
- Talk to the librarian and board of trustees about fundraising plans
- Expend 80% of funds raised annually on the library with 20% for administrative expenses
United for Libraries
A division of the American Library Association, United for Libraries, is a national network of enthusiastic library supporters who believe in the importance of libraries as the social and intellectual centers of communities and campuses.
No one has a stronger voice for libraries than those who use them, raise money for them, and govern them. By uniting these voices, library supporters everywhere will become a real force to be reckoned with at the local, state, and national levels.
Starting a Friends of the Library Group
Don’t have a Friends group yet? Follow these key steps to get started.
- Janine Miller
- Coordinator of Training and Development
- firstname.lastname@example.org or (501) 682-5291